Oh hello, it’s me, the drama queen of south central Kentucky. If there is anyone who knows about being in a “funk”, it’s yours truly. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for several, several years. I am practically an expert at it. These days, I remain incredibly joyful roughly 90% of the time and the other 10%…let’s just say you should pray for my boyfriend and family. I am not exactly little miss sunshine around that time of the month (despite what my 5th grade email says…littlemissunshine3@gmail heyyyy). I was feeling funky yesterday afternoon for about 10 minutes before I decided to snap the heck out of it! It also inspired me to write this blog post 🙂
- R E A D
- Pick up a book, forrealz! The power of a good book is incredible. I could go on and on and on about books! I think it’s best to pick a fun book & a book that challenges you – personally, professionally, or spiritually!
- E X E R C I S E
- Elle Woods said it best: “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t kill their husbands, they just don’t.” or in our case – happy people just don’t feel funky, they just don’t! Pick an exercise you like – any exercise!! Go walk, go run, go lift weights, skip, jump rope, whatever it is – just do something that is going to lift you up!
- S M I L E / L A U G H
- Sometimes I just smile in the mirror and say “you’ve got this because you are awesome!”- you can think it’s cheesy but it works for me. I love to watch videos on my phone that make me laugh, I love to turn The Office or Schitts Creek on to make me laugh, I love to think about past memories that make me smile. Do what you gotta do to turn that frown upside down.
- B A K E
- The smell of chocolate chip cookies baking and the taste of cookie dough has been shown to significantly increase happiness levels across the globe by 10000000%. Google it. Or just believe me because how can you NOT be happy when you smell cookies and eat copious amount of cookie dough? I am not saying binge eat to fill a void in your life. I am saying – baking is hella therapeutic and you should try it sometime. Life is too short not to eat cookies.
- P R A Y
- Perhaps the most important one of all. Pray. ALL THE TIME. Pray whenever you are feeling happy, sad, angry, joyful, gloomy, peppy, sappy, or simply – funky. Jesus has got your back every. single. time. No worry is too big for HIM. Danggggggg, that’s pretty freakin’ cool. So talk to Him! I am POSITIVE He would love to hear from someone else besides me. LOLOLOLOL. I got’s lots of problems I tell Him…“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7, OSB)
That’s it! I know there is more – so share them with me 🙂 What do you do to get out of a “funk”? I think you are really great for being here and reading my blog. Thanks for stopping by today! Until next time!!
Leave a Reply